For 2017, I set myself a Goodreads reading challenge: my goal is to read 30 books this year. After a disastrous reading year in 2016, in which I read only 15 books, I decided it was time to get back to my regular reading of an average of 30-40 books a year (and if you were reading this blog in 2014, you might remember that I surpassed my Goodreads challenge of 52 books!). Reading has always been my favourite hobby and I’m no way letting it go, even when adult life will get busier!
However, as I did mention in a whole post last year, it doesn’t mean that I’ve stopped reading. In fact, I’ve been reading more than ever, digesting news on Pocket and my favourite blogs. Recently, my Twitter has become a freaking ‘news’ feed, literally. I’ve been spamming it with articles and videos I find interesting.
Therefore, I’ve decided to renew a very old ‘trend’ of mine on this blog: previously called Sites of the Month, I used to collect my favourite links/articles of the month and post it up for you guys to read as well. This time, I’m calling it Weekly Reads because, you guessed it, it’s going to be a weekly thing, every Sunday. Because I read too much in a week anyway.
So here they are, my top web articles of the week!
1. Frankly, I can be as addicted as the author of the article on the guilty pleasures of abandoning online shopping carts. I’ve had my dose of late night browsing in my favourite online stores, dreaming about the clothes I’d wear, a boots collection, mugs, you name it, all ending up in that virtual shopping cart and… eventually not buying any of them. It was all for the thrill. Is shopping addiction going to be classified as a disorder in the future?
2. I’m all for the how-to-earn-more articles, however, the most valuable advice has been on how to make your life and work more meaningful (by changing your mindset about them), because eventually this is how you get richer. Most people are so busy surviving and making a living, they forget to design a life. A quote from Tony Robbins that became the foundation of Bianca’s article!
3. Who doesn’t dream of becoming a millionaire? One thing is, you should always remember that spending like a millionaire doesn’t make you one. Technically, on the extreme side, if you want to be a millionaire, just. don’t. spend. Here’s how to be frugal and smart with your money, just like a millionaire.
4. Have you seen Sinek’s viral video on millennials? He’s contradicting himself. Here’s a controversial response article about it and on how millennials have more potential than we think.
5. If you’re on the look-out for a job, here is a fun but enlightening article on memorable job interviews, and what made these employers tick.
6. Would you like to work 5 hours a day? 2017 is the time to re-evaluate your workplace! Here’s how some companies are changing the way we work.
7. It’s not easy to be a leader, and it’s worse when you’re a first time startup founder! First Round Partner Rob Hayes writes about the 3 main roles of a founder and why these are so important. Yes, only 3, because you don’t have to do everything by yourself.
8. This article’s title is self-explanatory: This is why people leave your company. Every CEO should read this! Don’t be afraid to share it with your boss.
Finally, I’ll leave you with this TEDx talk, in which Vishen Lakhiani speaks on how he built the world’s greatest workplace (right here in Malaysia!!!) and how you can do it too 🙂
Enjoy your weekend and happy reading!
An Evil Nymph.